At Myriad, we are dedicated to saving lives and improving the quality of life of patients through molecular and companion diagnostic tests across a variety of major diseases.
Over the years, countless people have shared their stories about how genetic testing has changed their lives or enabled them to make more informed decisions about their own healthcare, or the care of their loves ones, as a result of genetic testing. Here are just a few of the real patient stories that have inspired us in the work we do:
- GeneSight: Helping Patients with Depression - Mental Health Month, Depression and GeneSight® The GeneSight® genetic test has produced exciting news for patients diagnosed with depression. A landmark study showed that the GeneSight Test led to significant improvement in mental health outcomes for patients with major depressive disorder (MDD). Read the full news release here. This exciting, new data for GeneSight was presented at
- Andrea’s story: Cancer prevention can begin with knowing your family history - Shortly after I was born, my father was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma and he passed away when he was just 29 years old. Losing my dad when I was so young is what ultimately led me to becoming a cancer genetic counselor focusing on cancer prevention…which begins with knowing your family history. I came to
- How a Simple Test Changed My Prostate Cancer Diagnosis – And My Life - Six years ago, my doctor told me I had prostate cancer, and the news literally brought me to my knees. To say that I was scared at that moment is a big understatement. Nobody wants to hear the words, “You’ve got cancer,” and there are just no words to describe the devastation I felt. I
- My Personalized Journey with Ovarian Cancer - Looking back, my journey with cancer really began when I was 40, a year after my paternal grandmother passed away. That was about the same time I first started thinking that breast cancer might be hereditary. My grandmother had a history of breast cancer, so I looked at my husband and said, “Oh my gosh,
- The Faces of Prostate Cancer - All of us at Myriad – from the executives and researchers, to the sales and customer service representatives – work hard because we know that, behind each and every Myriad test is a patient and a family with questions about disease. As the manager of patient education and advocacy, I am blessed to spend my
Myriad Patient Ambassador Program
Myriad has a strong Patient Ambassador program. The Hereditary Cancer Champions are a coalition of men and women who are dedicated to the mission of increasing awareness of hereditary cancer risk. The role of each ambassador is to share their personal story about testing for a hereditary cancer syndrome. They do so for two reasons:
- The first is to motivate people with a strong family history to take charge of their health by talking to their healthcare professionals about their personal risk and whether hereditary cancer testing is appropriate for them.
- The second is to speak with healthcare professionals in order to reinforce the importance of hereditary cancer risk assessment for all of their patients.