At Myriad, we are dedicated to saving lives and improving the quality of life of patients through molecular and companion diagnostic tests across a variety of major diseases.
Over the years, countless people have shared their stories about how genetic testing has changed their lives or enabled them to make more informed decisions about their own healthcare, or the care of their loves ones, as a result of genetic testing. Here are just a few of the real patient stories that have inspired us in the work we do:
- Andrea’s story: Cancer prevention can begin with knowing your family history - Shortly after I was born, my father was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma and he passed away when he was just 29 years old. Losing my dad when I was so young is what ultimately led me to becoming a cancer genetic counselor focusing on cancer prevention…which begins with knowing your family history. I came to
- How a Simple Test Changed My Prostate Cancer Diagnosis – And My Life - Six years ago, my doctor told me I had prostate cancer, and the news literally brought me to my knees. To say that I was scared at that moment is a big understatement. Nobody wants to hear the words, “You’ve got cancer,” and there are just no words to describe the devastation I felt. I
- My Personalized Journey with Ovarian Cancer - Looking back, my journey with cancer really began when I was 40, a year after my paternal grandmother passed away. That was about the same time I first started thinking that breast cancer might be hereditary. My grandmother had a history of breast cancer, so I looked at my husband and said, “Oh my gosh,
- The Faces of Prostate Cancer - All of us at Myriad – from the executives and researchers, to the sales and customer service representatives – work hard because we know that, behind each and every Myriad test is a patient and a family with questions about disease. As the manager of patient education and advocacy, I am blessed to spend my
- Heidi Believes in the Value of Genetic Testing - I have always felt lucky. My husband and I met in college when I was just 18 and were married shortly after graduation. We have an incredible relationship, a strong marriage and both of us come from loving families. We also have two wonderful daughters, and I enjoy being a stay-at-home mom. We have an
Myriad Patient Ambassador Program
Myriad has a strong Patient Ambassador program. The Hereditary Cancer Champions are a coalition of men and women who are dedicated to the mission of increasing awareness of hereditary cancer risk. The role of each ambassador is to share their personal story about testing for a hereditary cancer syndrome. They do so for two reasons:
- The first is to motivate people with a strong family history to take charge of their health by talking to their healthcare professionals about their personal risk and whether hereditary cancer testing is appropriate for them.
- The second is to speak with healthcare professionals in order to reinforce the importance of hereditary cancer risk assessment for all of their patients.